Sunday 11 November 2012

In Remembrance

The people who are depicted in these photographs and who are the authors of these postcards are not connected to each other, that I know of.  This is some of my collection and unfortunately I don't know full identities or what happened to them.  I have put this group together so that the semi-official photographs can be viewed with the personal messages sent to loved ones.  

I would love to know which regiment this group belonged to; the presence of at least two tam-o-shanters suggests a Scottish connection.  I don't know if "G.B. 1146" refers to a division or simply the photographer's numbering system.  All that is printed on the reverse is "Voto...." and the rest of the word / brand is hard to make out.  It suggests that this was taken abroad.

Taken by A. Leslie, Pier Studio, Felixtowe.

Front of card...
Reverse

Passed by Censor No. 607.  Written September 30th, 1918 and posted at the Field Post Office, 1st October.
The message reads:
Dear Gordon,
Just a few lines hoping Mother and yourself have a good time.  Kind regards to Mister Holdsworth.
With love
From Dad
xxxx
Possibly taken in Wermelskirchen, Germany, to be sent to France.  Printed on the reverse is 'Control Post, Date...... Wermelskirchen' and someone has pencilled 'TOUT'.  Any suggestions for identifying the uniform, especially the badge on his cap, gratefully received.


Posted 17th July 1916 from Bedlington to Miss M. Hudson, "The Swallows", Lissett, Lowthorpe, Driffield, E. Yorks.
The message reads:
Dear Mad,
We leave here for France tonight at 10pm.  I am going out at last as I am just ready for a nice sail across the pond.  You would receive my letter, so if not written back wait till here [sic] from me again.  I shall go in for a V.C. 
So Good Bye Madeline
From Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment