Tuesday 21 August 2012

Dad's New Bowler

I believe this is an example of a street photographer's trade; namely a candid photograph sold to the person photographed if they wished to buy it.  On the reverse is written:
"I have been snaped (sic) with a Film Camera in the street coming from the New Market.  I had been to buy myself a new bowler.  Dad"
Photos such as this are often interesting for the background detail as much as for the main subject.  In this case: the suspicion on the face of the man in the foreground; the short trousers worn by the man on the left (is he purposefully walking out of the way?); the car registration; the two talking ladies in their sensible coats.  Unfortunately I couldn't make out the wording on the poster, I'd hoped to find out where this was taken if I had been able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment