Monday 20 August 2012

Ladies' Hairstyles No.1: Updos and Buns



I estimate that these images show late Edwardian and early-mid Georgian ladies, so they are dated c.1910-1920.



The above is the front of a postcard sent during World War One, on April 4, 1916 to: Miss Brown, 47 Camden Park Road, Camden Square.  The text reads:
Dear Mary,
Just a word hoping that your arm is getting much better and also that you are better in yourself.  I had quite made up my mind to come to-night and see you as I promised, but I have not felt very well myself these two days, and yesterday I heard that my boy is in hospital, (wounded in the leg), so I know you will understand.  Hope to see you soon, and trust your brother is improving.  Kindest regards, yours sincerely Kate.

 
In the photo above the lady wears an attractive cameo brooch.  The cosmetic changes made prior to the photo being fully developed are visible, especially underneath the eyes, around the mouth and across the forehead.

The above is a postcard sent in 1912.  I don't know if all that luxuriant hair is all the model's own or if she is wearing a separate piece.




No comments:

Post a Comment